Thursday, March 24, 2011

Americans Should Understand That Rights Are Not Gifts

Leonard Pitts works with the Miami Herald and wrote a commentary that really hit home with him. He is glad that more and more people are opening their eyes to Gay and Lesbian relationships. He himself has solidified his love with his partner by marrying him. It’s proven that more people approve of homosexual marriages.  From the last poll that was taken, it stated that 51 percent of people now approve whereas 5 years ago only 36 percent of people did. That is fine, but the question that lies is does the majority have the right to judge? He says no and we all agree when it pertains to something we love or want. We as a people are very judgmental and don't consider our actions until the consequences are staring us right in our faces. With that being said, that part of his argument is understood. The only thing is can he honestly say he has not judged anyone or has not used his power as a writer to turn the other cheek. I truly doubt it!!! His conclusion makes sense but will not carry any weight when you really think about it. Our rights aren't gifts but are misused and missed when they are taken away. His argument is poorly written and very hypocritical in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I am no angel and have passed judgment too. All in all I am woman enough to step back and assess myself before trying to have people feel sorry for me. I have made my decisions and do live with every one of them. Personally I don't see what another female could do for me but I am sure that a homosexual female would probably have tons to tell me. I am content with my man and glad to say it. Pitts needs time to deal with his decision and make sure that it’s the right one he would like to make because everyone doesn't agree and won't agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment